Friday, June 12, 2009

Correct water temperature for sencha?


How are you doing today, everyone?

How do you usually cool down boiling water to the correct temperature for green tea? Do you use a water cooler (pitcher) or cups and a teapot?

I usually use a big mug for sencha (most common Japanese green tea) when I’m working at office. The teapot and mug in the picture are what I’m using now. When I was preparing sencha this morning, I was curious if I’m always using right temperature water for the tea. I usually pour boiling water into the empty teapot, and then pour the hot water from the teapot into the mug. I use the hot water in the mug to brew sencha. In this way I can usually make delicious sencha pretty much. But I’ve never measured the actual temperature of the water.

So, let’s check it out!
I did measured the temperature today.

Boiling water → Teapot → Mug = Temperature???

**Conditions**
Amount of boiling water : About 500ml
Room temperature : 21 degrees C
Experimental tool : Mug(500ml) and Teapot (550ml) in the picture, and a thermometer

How much do you guess the water temperature was?
I’ll tell you the result at my next blog, talked you soon!!


1 comment: