Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mesh fineness of tea strainers and the taste of sencha 1


The other day, I did a test to check the relation between the taste and the material of tea strainer. >>> Do ceramic tea strainers brew better tea than stainless ones?

Speaking of strainers, I’m also wondering how the fineness of the mesh affects the taste. I sometimes see mucky-green tea and sometimes very clear tea. I do not think it is just about futsu (regular steamed) or fukamushi (deep steamed) sencha. I believe the fineness of mesh has an impact to the color and taste of tea and wanted to check it out myself.



Here are three teapots with different strainers.
Teapot A, Mounted stainless strainer (Finer than ceramic strainers)
Teapot B, Fine-mesh ceramic strainer
Teapot C, Regular-mesh ceramic strainer




*** Conditions ***
Tea: sencha (regular steamed), 2grams
Water: 70ml, 75degC
Brewing time: 1 minute

Today I’m using futsu-sencha. Do you think the brewed teas will be very different by using these strainers? What do you think? I’ll tell you the result tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment