Friday, June 24, 2011

Efficiency of partial storing

When you open a new package of tea, do you keep the tea all in the same tea caddy? It is said that it is better to keep only an amount for about two week’s use in your daily caddy and keep the rest at a cool place in an airtight container separately. It can reduce the risk of oxidation and humidity. Let me call it the partial storing.



Konnichiwa, it’s meヽ(^。^)ノ I wanted to know how effective partial storing is. In the series of my storing tests, I included one for it. Here is the condition for the test. I have two samples. I kept one in a tea caddy at a room temperature and opened it almost every day. For the other one, I triple wrapped and didn’t open it. I did this test for three weeks for both sencha and matcha.



Common conditions
Tea: sencha (3g each) and matcha (1.5g each)
Term: about three weeks
Place: room temperature (the average was about 22degC (72F))



Condition
Condition
ASingle packing (tea caddy) Opened almost everyday
GTriple packing (small plastic bag, tea caddy, plastic bag with zipper)
Not-opened during the term




Tasting condition
Sencha: 3g tea leaves, 100ml (3.5oz) boiling water, one minute brewing
Matcha: 1.5g matcha, 60ml (2.1oz) 85degC (185F) water


Daily caddies are opened pretty often and it also refreshes the air and introduces more oxygen and moist into the caddy. So, I believe the theory of the partial storing naturally makes sense. I wanted to prove its efficiency or I should say that I myself wanted to know how effective it is. What‘s your thought? I’ll tell you the result on the next entry. Jah!

2 comments:

  1. I think partial storing makes sense too. But it will be interesting to know if there is a big difference, if any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I failed to prove the efficiency of the partial storing. I’m sorry about it. But I might find other tip for storage from the failure.

    ReplyDelete