Friday, January 7, 2011

Kokaen, tea shop in my town

Happy New Year, everyone! I’m back from the winter holidays (^-^). I had a lot of events on the holidays. I’ll write about them on this blog.


In our family tradition, we have matcha on New Year's Day. So, we usually buy matcha and confectionary on New Year’s Eve. I went to Kokaen in my town. It’s a small tea shop and run by an elderly lady. Kokaen is not a fancy store. It is cramped and cluttered, but sells good quality matcha, and they are much reasonable than urban tea shops. We got 2000yen/20g matcha, which our master usually buys for our tea lesson. It is expensive, but really good. It has good aroma, rich umami and very mild bitterness. We love the grade of matcha.

The matcha is grinded at the store. The lady is checking the mills.

3 comments:

  1. Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu Kohei-San !

    It's a lovely tea shop, please : more pictures...

    Cheers,

    Fortunato

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Fortunato-san!

    Akemashite omedeto gozaimasu! Thank you for greeting in Japanese ヽ(^。^)ノ

    Sorry, I didn’t take many pictures (^_^;) Maybe next time …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information!
    wholesale fittings

    ReplyDelete