Thursday, June 28, 2012

Exquisite cold sencha


Continuation from the previous entry

My method is basically cold-water brewing.  However, I use lukewarm water in the beginning to awaken the leaves and to help faster infusing.  The tea prepared with this method has much more profound flavor with ample bitterness than the cold brewed tea, and it also has much more sweetness of umami than hot brewed tea.  This method takes a little extra effort but it is worth the try!


One serving for a glass (or for three regular sencha cups)

Tea leaf: about double of regular amount (12g/0.42oz)
Lukewarm water: 50degC/122degF, Just enough to submerge the leaves (50ml/1.8oz)
Cold water: 200ml/7oz
Ice cube: adequate dose

The leaves shown here is not 12g.  They are 8g.  Sorry.


1.    Put the tea leaves and lukewarm water into the teapot and brew it for only 10 seconds.


2.    Add a few ice cubes and cold water and brew it for 10 minutes.



3.    Pour into a glass.


Best served in cold and enjoy the exquisite flavor! 


I don’t set the time for my second brewing.  I just refill the teapot with cold water and a few ice cubes and leave it while I enjoy the first serving.   The second tea will be ready in an hour or two; which is a pretty good timing for my second refreshment in the office.

8 comments:

  1. Very hot.. I'm just waiting for 10 minutes timeout to enjoy wu lu cold tea :)
    Thank you for trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is wu lu chinese tea? I don't know much about chinese teas. I hope this method works fine with chinese ones (^-^)

      Delete
    2. Yes it's a chinese tea. My tea shop suggested me to try this tea. Not bad.. different from japanese tea, cheap, less umami but very easy to brew and not so bad. For every day usage is a good suggestion.

      Delete
    3. It's good to have reasonable daily teaヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's Bodum Pavina. Japanese amazon >>>http://www.amazon.co.jp/bodum-Pavina-ダブルウォール保温グラス0-36L-2個セット-4559-10/dp/B00076ZD36

      Delete
  3. How big is the teapot should I use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teapot that I used in the photos holds about 260ml / 9.2oz.

      Delete