Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tea cups for Japanese tea enthusiasts


What particular criterion do you have for your tea cups?   It could be its usability, color, size, material or production region. 

I made three cups for my shop with my own design; sencha cup (65ml/2.3oz), small sencha cup (30ml/1.1oz) and gyokuro cup (15ml/0.5oz).  Their overall designs are extremely simple, but I was meticulous on some details, such as the bisque finish (non-glazed finish) and the engraved mark at the bottom.  Among them, the greatest feature that I stick with was the slimness.   I made the rim so thin that you can even see through the silhouette of your fingers when placing it on bright background.



This slenderness creates a very refined look and atmosphere, which full-bodied daily cups can never have.  This is why these cups are for tea enthusiasts.  Imagine having your fine tea in a slime-wall cup, you will have a totally different impression from the tea setting.  The fine tea will look much classier for your private time or tea with your guests.  I didn’t want to make just an ordinary cup, and the thinness was my answer.

So, what is your preference on your cups?


Here are the three cups that I designed.  They are available for sale on our shop.  You can jump to our shop by clicking the picture of each product.

Wabi-Iki thin sencha cup (65ml/2.3oz)

Wabi-Iki thin small sencha cup (30ml/1.1oz)

Wabi-Iki thin gyokuro cup (15ml/0.5oz)

10 comments:

  1. Hello,Kohei,

    l must say that the cups look amazing!Simple,refined shapes,a true modernist return to the basic form.l think the translucent porcelain truly adds to the fragile and superb feeling of the cups,the green color of tea must have been seen very beautifully on this thin,white background.l love them all.The watermark is beautiful also.l think you've really made a great achievement.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a compliment! I’m flattered. Thanks. I wanted to make simply designed cups but something different from ordinary ones. I think I could achieve the goal^^

      Delete
  2. Hi Kohei,

    I like your cups' design and you blog. BTW, is the given volume acurate (filled right up to the rim)? I am planning to order 2 or 3 sencha cups for my 165ml teapot.

    Thanks
    BT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you(^-^) For sencha cup, 65ml is the capacity for practical serving. Maximum capacity (upto the rim) is about 140ml.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love your white tea cups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them, I want them! I've been looking for something like this forever. Do you sell them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sell them on our online shop. Form this post, you can jump to our shop by clicking the pictures of each product.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Japanese Art, thanks for the post
    Here,a very nice Japanese Gallery in Paris

    ReplyDelete