Friday, January 20, 2012

The essentials: 5. Do things ahead of time


The ancient tea master, Rikyu once said “Do things ahead of time”.  This is one of the seven essentials of The Way of Tea, which I introduced on the previous entry.

If there is a party, what time would you like to get there?  Would you be there earlier than it starts, just on time, or after it started?  I guess that this custom may vary in different countries.  In Japan, people get together on time or slightly earlier than it starts.  Maybe because, it is often said that it is better to do things 5 minutes ahead.    I assume that this kind of practice is somehow related with Rikyu’s “Do things ahead of time”.



What is the essential idea behind “Do things ahead of time” in tea serving?  I have almost the same understanding as common opinions.  Leeway of time will make a leeway on your mind.  A relaxed mind allows you to treat your guests with composure.  Eventually, it helps for serving good tea. 

My interpretation of Rikyu’s “Do things ahead of time” is that
leeway on your mind is important.

As I was writing this entry, I remembered my own experience when I was a student.  One day, on my way home, I saw a familiar businessman parking his car on a street one block away from my house.  I asked my mother what he was doing there.  She said that he was probably waiting to adjust the time for our appointment.  Before this incident, I thought that being early is always good but I realized afterwards that it may not be appreciated at times.  The host may not be ready at the time and you might make him/her rush.  I was impressed with how professional the businessman was.  Not only because of the time consideration, but also because he waited at a place not visible from our house.   This behavior comes from the spirit of thinking of others.    If you have the chance to visit your friend in Japan, try to be just on time or slightly earlier than the appointment.   

3 comments:

  1. In France, you come a bit later at a house party.
    As not much are on time, it is better coming slightly later not to bother the host in his preparation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Florian-san, It is interesting to know customs of other country. It makes sense to show up a bit late not to bother the host in his preparation. I’ll do it if I have a chance to join a party in France!

      Delete
  2. In France, you come a bit later at a house party.
    As not much are on time, it is better coming slightly later not to bother the host in his preparation

    ReplyDelete