Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Names on Japanese confections



I chose this confection because of its pretty colors.  In fall and winter, the colors used on confections often get subdued.  That’s why this adorably colored one caught my eyes among the selections in showcase.  It is named as 惜秋 senshu, because of its fall-end melancholic feeling.  I think that a few colored leaves express the trace of fall.




I think this confection depicts a withered autumn leaf.  Based on my own perspective, I would say that the red color which remained on the tip indicates a relic of fall, and the white freckles represent frost of the coming winter.  The name of this confection is 木枯らし kogarashi, the first cold blast.

I really love how Japanese confections are named.  They are titled like an art piece or a beautiful song.  Generally, the named confections seem to display a scenery or story.   It is my little pleasure to check out the names on confections ^^

8 comments:

  1. hello Kohei! It is only to say you thanks, because i found here inspiration and ideas about the delicious flavor of the life.
    thanks again, greetings from Argentina. Guillermo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Guillermo-san,
    Thanks for leaving a comment that encourages me to keep writing. Arigato(^-^) Have a nice day in Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! It is hard to find sweets in the USA. The only place near me, in the northeast, is Minamoto Kitchoan in New York. But I also found a book called Wagashi by Mutsuo Takahashi. It was expensive for me, but at least it was in English. Have you heard of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so you can still have wagashi at Minamoto Kitchoan. I’m glad to know that people in the states can also enjoy Japanese culture. We don’t have Minamoto Kitchoan in my area, but we have several confectionary shops in a town. As you enjoy western cakes, we enjoy wagashi. I regret to say that I don’t know of Mutsuo Takahashi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charming confections; like little works of art! There is much thought put into each one, with many details. They look lovely next to the spring green of the matcha and the soft white of the bowl and plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, forgot to add to my other post; your chawan is lovely, in the future will you add similar ones to your shop?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, anastasia-san, Yes, they are really charming (^-^)
    I would like to have more chawan selection on my shop in the future. I’m not sure if I can find similar ones. But, I love such type of chawan and I’ll definitely try to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists.
    sencha

    ReplyDelete