Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gyokuro from Kyoto, Fukuoka and Shizuoka


At the World O-CHA (Tea) Festival, there was a booth for gyokuro, which was hosted by three gyokuro regions: Kyoto, Fukuoka and Shizuoka. They said that they were the big three gyokuro production prefectures in Japan. I don’t know why they are called as such. The data I have shows discrepancy in numbers on the production amount of gyokuro. The largest amounts of gyokuro production in 2008 are: 1.Kyoto 2.Mie 3.Fukuoka 4.Kumamoto 5.Shizuoka. I guess the three gyokuro regions were meant to be regarded the three Famous or Popular gyokuro regions. Anyway, I took gyokuro workshops of each production. I also bought some gyokuro that I tried at the workshops, so that I can try them at home. Actually, Yame (Fukuoka) gyokuro had another individual booth. I bought Yame tea at the individual booth.

Here are the teas I bought: from the left Uji (Kyoto) gyokuro, Yame (Fukuoka) gyokuro, and Asahina (Shizuoka) gyokuro.



Which one do you like by the appearance? Which one looks expensive?


Uji (Kyoto) gyokuro 5000yen/100g,
Yame (Fukuoka) gyokuro 5000yen/100g
Asahina (Shizuoka) gyokuro 2500yen/100g

Asahina gyokuro was reasonable than others, but still good looking. The leaves of Yame gyokuro were small pieces. I thought the Uji gyokuro had the best appearance in these three. I brewed and tasted them. On the next blog, I’ll write about it. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment